“Good news,” says the doctor or nurse. “You can take your mother home tomorrow.”
Discharge from hospital to home can be hard for all involved. Your family member may be very ill even though he or she no longer needs hospital care. You need to prepare to take your family member home. After discharge, you may assume even more responsibilities.
Returning home from a hospital stay can result in unexpected challenges for many seniors. Finding themselves back at home after a hospital stay, many older adults struggle to manage their medications and make follow up doctor’s appointments as well as obtain the physical assistance and in- home support they may require, at least on a temporary basis. As a result, many older adults do not successfully make the transition home well and end up returning to the hospital.
We can help ensure that you or your loved one makes a successful transition home from the hospital.
We provide transitional care to patients discharged from hospitals and rehabilitation facilities to help them transition well, avoid re-admission, and safely flourish in their own home.
Help & Care, LLC offers following services to ease the transition home:
- Personal care: bathing, eating, dressing, toileting, grooming
- Household care:cooking (specific diet or general types of food), cleaning, laundry, shopping
- Emotional care:companionship, meaningful activities, conversation
- Transfer (moving from bed to chair) and Mobility (incl. walking)
- Medication Management
- Physician’s appointments
- Communication with the medical team as needed
- Transportation from hospital to your home and for follow-up visits
- Improving the quality of life through extensive self-management education
It is important that you understand and be part of the discharge planning process. These guides will help you.