Caring for an Aging Loved One? We Can Help!
Caring for a client often involves family, so Help & Care, LLC plays a role in providing “respite care” for the family caregiver (i.e. a wife caring for a husband or a daughter/son caring for her/his parents). Constant caregiving can bring considerable stress, because the caregiver’s focus is centered on the one needing care. Very often, we see that when our in-home caregivers provide relief from daily routines, the family caregiver has more time for themself and the relationship with the senior loved one actually strengthens.
The demands placed on family and other informal caregivers continue to escalate, and they’ll eventually affect nearly every American family. It’s everyone’s greatest fear: a parent starts to forget things, they become bewildered, confused, and angry, and finally, they can’t care for themself and need 24-hour home care. Adult children are increasingly faced with a huge responsibility: parents who are as helpless as young children.
If you find yourself caring for an aging loved one, you are not alone! Consider the following:
- Nearly a quarter (23.9 percent) of U.S. households are now involved in caring for an elderly family member or relative, spending an average of 20 hours a week in caregiving-related chores.
- Some 80 percent of caregivers provide unpaid assistance seven days a week.
- More than 60 percent of all family caregivers say they have suffered from depression. (Source: National Family Caregivers Association/Fortis Long Term Care, 1998.)
- Long-distance caregivers miss nearly 15 million days of work each year. (Source: National Council on Aging/The Pew Charitable Trusts, 1998.)
- Long-term family caregiving takes a significant toll on workers. Lost productivity, absenteeism, interruptions and replacing employees due to elder care costs American businesses in excess of $11.4 billion annually. (Source: National Alliance for Caregiving/Glaxo Welcome Report, 1997.)
- A significant decline in the number of family caregivers is occurring in the U.S. At the same time, the demand for elder care is increasing.
Help & Care, LLC can help you by providing:
- Qualified, caring, trained, insured, bonded, and flexible in-home caregivers who can help you take a break for a few hours without feeling guilty or stressed. This will allow you to take care of yourself or other members of your family. Our caregivers can assist your elderly loved one for a few hours a week, a few hours a day, or more — up to 24-hour home care. Giving yourself a little bit of time away may be just what the doctor ordered and will help you to be a much better family caregiver.
- In-home assessments. We routinely perform free in-home assessments that result in a customized care plan for your loved ones from our non-medical home care agency. You may choose to have us carry out the care plan in whole or in part, or you may simply choose to use the care plan to improve your own ability to care for your loved one.
- Access to information and training for in-home caregivers. We have access to and offer a wealth of information, training, and resources for caregivers.
- Fall-prevention assessments and training. One of the most common injuries among seniors is falling. We can help you assess the risks that your loved one faces and provide education on how to minimize the risk of falling. Also, if you request, we will even conduct a free workshop on fall prevention for your group. Learn more from the fall prevention section.
- Home safety checks. We have extensive experience in the multi-faceted process of ensuring that your loved one’s home is safe, which is vital to maintaining independence for as long as possible.
- Support and understanding. We can help you get connected with support groups and individuals in our area that can help YOU, as well as help you care for your loved one.
So if you are a family caregiver in need of help at home, don’t hesitate to contact us. You can talk to us about your unique situation, schedule a free in-home assessment, and be well on your way to a happier, healthier life for you and your loved one. Our home care services are just what you need to improve the senior living care for you loved one and have more time for yourself.